Thursday, July 22, 2010

Leadership material?

The engineer in our group at work has been on vacation for about a week now. When he left, he tasked me with overseeing the work of one of our contract workers and taking care of a couple of others who came in for maintenance and calibration of some equipment. He's been off on vacation before, but I never had to oversee the work on another. Which leads me to an understanding of myself that I've felt but never articulated before. I hate been a supervisor of anyone. In my own work I prefer a sort of training period with a clear understanding of the expectations. After that I prefer to be given my tasks with a hands-off supervisor who will trust my work and time management, and be patient with me when I ask for help. I've trained people here before and don't mind doing that as long as I can see the person is learning and trying to improve. Once the training period is over I expect them to preform somewhat like me, with minimal direction. Having to oversee someone who needs direction more than once a day frustrates me. Looking this over I am aware that this can seem somewhat unforgiving and rigid on my part and I acknowledge that. Still, I like work environments where we are a loose group on independent workers who come together as a team only when needed. Well there it is, I'm and Indian and not a Chief, and I like it that way.

No comments: